History occupies a very respectable and important place in school curriculum. It is an interesting and a living subject.It is a wonderful treasure house of information.
Vein Froude says, “It is a kind of knowledge which is useful to men in daily life. The end and scope of all history being to teach us by examples of times past such wisdom as many guide our destinies and action”.
India is a democratic country. The first and foremost requisite for successful and higher functioning of democracy is enlightened and intelligent citizenship. Civics performs this work nicely and adequately. It prepares pupils for living in a democratic set up of a country.
Different methods used in teaching History and Civics
- Biographical method- History is taught as a series of stories of the great men of our country and the world in a chronological order.
- Discussion method- It is an organized conversation, main purpose of discussion is to educate pupil in process of group thinking or collective decision.
- Source method- Sources are the traces left behind by human being in the past and preserved by the society and by means of which history can be constructed.
- Project method- It is a modern method of teaching, in this method various topics are taught through well defined projects. It includes any activity which enables children to learn History in more realistic and practical manner.
Teaching aids are the device which presents the unity of knowledge or visual stimuli through auditory or visual stimuli. There are different tools that appeal to the sense of hearing and vision and used in the classroom for presentation of abstract information
Teaching aids such as Charts, Maps, Globe, Models, Timelines help in understanding History in a better way. Children also get first hand experience and are more interested in learning History
– Mrs. Sahana H, HOD-History & Civics
The world we live in is a fascinating and beautiful place. The Earth and all its inhabitants are part of a complex, ever changing story line that lies at the heart of physical and human Geography .
In a dynamic world, the study of Geography is increasingly important. The diversity of the subject and the interaction between the physical environment and human population is becoming even more evident with climate change and globalisation influencing our everyday lives.
To gain the wanted qualifications for students in Geography lesson is possible by planning learning situations and carrying out the teaching process according to this. Factors such as the readiness level of the students to the issues and their learning styles, the techniques and methods the teacher prefer, the teaching materials and education services that teacher use, teaching programs and curriculum are the important variables in teaching process. The careful review of the identified variables by teacher is necessary in turning the recovery of the students into behaviours.
We follow constructive Geography teaching which emphasizes the individuals to think more, to understand, and to be responsible for their own learning. A method in which students are active and teacher is a guide.
– Mitali Chakraborty, – Geography Department