[Top 10] things to keep in mind when choosing a school for your kids
10 Key Factors to Consider When Choosing a School for Your Kids
As a parent, your number one priority will be finding the right school for your child. Though this is a very important decision, it does not need to be a stressful one. If you just keep in mind the following considerations when choosing a school, the entire process will be truly stress-free and productive.
- Academic Considerations – Before embarking on a reconnaissance of schools, it is important you decide which Board of Education (ICSE, CBSE, IB etc) would best suit the unique capabilities of your child. Once you have made your choice, make a list of the top rated schools affiliated to that particular Board.
- Safety & Security – While choosing a school, always keep in mind ⸻ safety first. The academic accomplishment of a school does not matter if it can’t guarantee the safety of your child. Take a look at the safety and security measures in place at each school you have shortlisted. Some of the questions you need to ask are – Does it have the necessary facilities and procedures in place to keep children safe, in case of emergencies? Are the children supervised when they are at play? Is a background check of school employees done? Does it ensure whether only authorised people are allowed to pick up children after school? The type of security system in place, like security guards, CCTV cameras etc.
- Teaching Methodologies – Check out the method of teaching used by the teachers. See if they are using innovative technologies while imparting knowledge. Do they believe in rote based learning or are the children encouraged to think for themselves and learn via projects, class discussions, field trips etc?
- School Ethics – Another very important factor to consider when choosing a school is to see if the inherent value system of the school matches your values and beliefs. Is the school solely focused on imparting academic excellence or does it believe in value based education, where the development of the student’s moral fibre is given equal importance. The values of honesty, discipline, teamwork and civic sense instilled at this young age will stand them in good stead all through their life.
- Location Matters – Keep in mind the ever increasing traffic scenario. The last thing you want is for your child to be too exhausted and drained at the end of the day, to enjoy spending time with the family. This factor is especially important for primary school children.
- Transport – Part of the decision based on location depends on whether the school offers transportation. A school bus, while being safer on the roads, also ensures safety in numbers for your child.
- Student-Teacher Ratio – The smaller the ratio, the better the individual attention for your child.
- Budget – Keep in mind that in addition to the school fee there will be other expenses over the course of the school year. These miscellaneous expenses would include transport fee, cafeteria fee, cost of class projects and field trips etc. Factor in all these costs when checking if the total fee is within your budget.
- Alumni Power– Do a check on the general trend of what past students of the school have gone on to achieve. If possible, see if you can talk to a student who has passed out and find out about his personal experience and opinion of the school. There is nothing like getting firsthand information before making a decision.
- Extracurricular Activities – This factor holds more importance today when children tend to be glued to their phones or computers. Check what types of extracurricular activities are being offered by the school. While sports is a definite must, there are other activities like book, debate, art or poetry clubs among others which can be available for the creative students.
It’s these factors and more that make Sherwood High an ideal choice for many parents looking for quality education for their children. Admissions are now open and you’re welcome to visit us.